Programme Manager - (Groups, Awards, Business)
Oxford Circus, London
The team at Hunter Merrifield are delighted to be representing the Institute of Physics with a newly created role of Programme Manager (Groups & Awards). This role allows for innovation and creativity whilst you are responsible, on behalf of the Head of Science and Innovation, for ensuring successful delivery of a portfolio of programmes as well as enabling new ways of working through the development of enhanced business processes, data management systems and team working.
You will be part of a team that;
- Delivers value to the membership and the physics community.
- Recognises and rewards excellence in science & innovation in academia and industry.
- Promotes physics-based science & innovation through IOP member networks, events, and content.
- Encourages and fosters collaboration across traditional boundaries.
- Ensure that Physics is recognised for the contribution it makes to the economy.
- Support large, medium and small businesses to actively exploit and commercialise new and emerging physics-based research.
You will do this as a team through more than 44 science and innovation major awards, running 50 special interest groups, over 50 group cconferences and events, 3 travel bursaries schemes for early career researchers, Physics2020 and an exciting programme of Knowledge exchanges which are physics solving industry challenges.
What is your role in this?
The role involves handling multiple budgets, line management of staff and management of operational inter-dependencies across the department as well as working with other departments and external partner organisations and stakeholders.
- Ensure successful delivery of 50 Groups managing governance, committees, budgets, member participation and digital presence as well as progressing potential new groups
- Build a delivery schedule for Business Innovation and Growth Group (network to support entrepreneurs and physicists/innovators in small, medium and large businesses), running workshops and events across nations and regions
- Run sector-focussed open innovation programmes to address industry challenges
- Deliver the IOP's prestigious Awards programme (science awards, honorary fellows, Philips award), including coordination across other departments and marketing to stakeholders
- Increase engagement and impact of Business awards, ensuring high value to winnersSecure sponsorship of programmes (in kind and cash)
- Identify and manage partnerships to add value to programmes, adding delivery capacity and expanding market reach
- Drive gender, regional, institutional and business inclusivity across programmes
- Monitor, evaluate and report impact of programmes.
- Carry out business development activities to identify new areas where the Institute can add value and impact in science and innovation
- Lead business innovation and entrepreneurial workshops to support entrepreneurial physicists and start-up businesses.
- Manage relationships with senior level stakeholders including the Institute's members, it's Science & Innovation and Groups Committee members, as well as political, academic and industrial contacts
- Maintain awareness of the science and innovation political and funding landscape.
What skills do you need to succeed?
- Project Management qualification or equivalent experience
- STEM or relevant degree - desirable
- Team player
- Negotiation skills
- Influencing skills
- Analytical skills -
- Organisational skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Communication skills
- Computer literate
Why do you want to work here?
You want to work for a charitable membership organisation with a worldwide membership from enthusiastic amateurs to those at the top of their sector in academia, business, education and government.
This is an exciting time to join the team in the central London office. As they move into the next phase of our five-year strategy, which will include their move to the heart of the redevelopment in King's Cross, close to partners such as Wellcome and Google, we are seeking new talent to help us create a contemporary organisation that is fit for the future.
In addition to a competitive salary and professional development opportunities, we offer employees a comprehensive benefits package including an excellent pension scheme, private medical insurance and generous annual leave. We also offer a range of other benefits including childcare vouchers, gym membership and interest free season ticket loans.
This is a dynamic and professional directorate and you could be a part of it! Apply today!
Huntress Search Ltd does not discriminate on the grounds of 'protected characteristics' as defined under the Equality Act and other relevant UK legislation.
Huntress Search Ltd acts as a Recruitment Agency in relation to all Permanent roles and as a Recruitment Business in relation to all Temporary roles.
PLEASE NOTE: We can only consider applications from candidates who have the right to work in the UK.